Archive for the ‘Three-day weekends’ Category
The Turtle Bay Resort on Hawaii’s North Shore in Oahu is the ideal spot for a three-day weekend getaway especially if you live in Los Angeles, like I do. We booked a 850 square foot beach cottage and it was scrumptious. It featured an amazing ocean view/access, private lanai, king-size bed, jacuzzi-tub, plasma TV, wet-bar and great sound system.
We flew United from LAX to Honolulu International Airport in Oahu. the flight was about five hours.
Here’s the Jet-Set Fashionista Three-Day Weekend intinerary:
- Arrived at Honolulu Airport , rented a car at Advantage.
- Drove the scenic hour and a half ride to the North Shore, and checked into our beautiful cottage just in time for the Friday night luau.
- Attended the Voyages of Polynesia Dinner Show/Luau at the resort at 7:30p
- Relaxed in the jacuzzi tub with a glass of Moet with a splash of chambord and some complimentary island fruit the hotel delivered to our door when we checked in.
- Went to bed and fell asleep to the rhythmic sound of the crashing waves outside.
- Worked out in resort gym
- Ate breakfast at the Palm Terrace
- Went to Spa Luana and had a Pineapple Pedicure and a 50 minute Luana massage
- Drove to Waimea Falls Park for a scenic hike
- Went back to resort, took a nap and got ready for dinner
- Had dinner at 21 Degrees North, the resort’s upscale restaurant. (The scallops, fresh fish selections and wine pairing menu are all very good!)
- Woke up and jogged along the beach
- Ate breakfast at Palm Terrace
- Went for a swim
- Packed, checked out, went to the airport
- Flew home relaxed and energized.
It’s still fabulous but not as posh and kitschy-fabulous as it used to be now that Harrah’s has bought it. The days of the fine china, circular beds, hot food in the Diamond Lounge and cash-in-the-mail bounce back comp checks are ovah! But it’s still fun. We spent a whirlwind three-day weekend here and loved every minute of it.
Took the 9:40p Southwest flight from Burbank’s Bob Hope Airport to Las Vegas’ McCarran Airport. Took a half an hour cab ride to Caesar’s. Checked in at the Diamond Lounge. Flight to Vegas from Burbank on Southwest: $70
Walked to our room in the Augustus Tower checking out all the Roman statues as we went by. Room was nice and featured a big flat-screen and jacuzzi-tub. The view left something to be desired (construction) but it was a minor annoyance as we didn’t go to Vegas to look at scenery. Recessionista Tip: Book room using your Automobile Club of America Card and get a deep discount! (It was about $117 a night for a great room!)
Too tired to gamble so we watched CNN and gobbled up the complimentary cheese basket that the hotel put in our room, ordered hangar steak and chicken sandwiches, Caesar Salad, some Cleopatra Coffee (coffee laced with amaretto, whipped cream and cinnamon), cracked open a bottle of wine from the mini-bar and thought we’d get a second wind. We did not, so we called it a night.
Woke up around 9am, took a jog down Las Vegas Blvd. to CVS to buy a curling iron since I’d forgotten to pack mine.
Had a Croque Monsieur for breakfast at Payard Patisserie inside the hotel.
Soaked in the Roman Baths and Artic Ice room at Qua Spa.
Watched the Pussycat Doll dancers parade through the Casino to signal that the Pussycat Doll Lounge was open for gaming! Couldn’t resist, so we played some blackjack. Lost about $100 in under 10 minutes.
Went to the Forum Shops where we blew more cash shopping but at least have some brand new clothes and kicks to show for it.
Left Caesar’s to meet up with friends who live in Vegas for dinner and then went with them to see their buddy Grammy-winning buddy Joe Esposito (He co-wrote Donna Summer’s “Bad Girls”) perform at Piazza Lounge inside of of the Tuscany Hotel. Esposito’s two man band is tight. He plays great disco music, the dancefloor was jam-packed and we joined in the merriment. We danced until about 2am.
Then we hit a roulette table. Two hours later walked away with about $200 in chips and remembered to sign up for Total Rewards cards so we can get free stuff when we gamble.
We had a nightcap at Cleopatra’s Barge and watched Paris Hilton and her boyfriend Benji Madden stroll by on their way to Pure Nightclub where Nicky Hilton’s birthday party was happening.
We called it a night around 4am.
Woke up at 11am and ate breakfast at Augustus Cafe. I recommend the “Caesar’s Breakfast”.
Took a cab to the airport and hopped on the 2pm flight to Burbank.